When: Saturday, August 25, 10am-5pm
Where: Gourmet Ghetto, Shattuck Ave. in North Berkeley
What: A Chalk Art Contest + 20th Anniversary Celebration – FREE family event
- Festival booths fill the blocks between Rose and Vine Streets.
- Artists – grab some chalk -areas of sidewalk are assigned for you to create your own fanciful chalk drawings
- Judging will begin after 4pm for the best drawing
- Cash prizes: $150, $100, $50 and runners-up get a $25 gift certificate from Books Inc.
- EAT CHOCOLATE! Purchase tasting tickets ($1/ea. or 20/$20) at 1451, 1495, 1607 Shattuck Ave. on the day of the event or in advance
- Oreo-stacking contest
- Singha beer or wine near the CVS Performing Area at 1451 Shattuck
- Live Music: Rusty String Express (Bluegrass) and Rolling Thunder (Dylan Tribute Band); at the Books Inc. Performing Area: Michelle Lambert (Indie Singer-Songwriter), Coventry & Kaluza (Circus Arts) and young rocker, Lorenzo Wood
About the Chocolate
The to-go menu features over 25 items including chocolate rum gelato, English toffee, a chocolate rose des sables, dark chocolate truffles, Oreo shakes, bittersweet chocolate pudding, chocolate ganache cupcakes, or savory menu items such as chocolate-covered pancetta or a chocolate molé taco. For those over 21, there is coffee Campfire stout and for vegans there are cookies, brownies and gelato, too. You might even relax with a hand massage with chocolate-scented cream.Chocolate Menu items are available during the hours listed and only while supplies last. Items may be substituted. All items (except the beer) are sold ‘to-go’ only.
Chocolate & Chalk Art Festival is sponsored by the North Shattuck Association, North Berkeley Investment Partners, Vignette Wine Country Soda, Singha Beer, Safeway, Spokes Bicycles, 7×7, 510Families, Berkeley Community Media, Berkeleyside, East Bay Loop, and East Bay Express. For a good time, take BART to Downtown Berkeley and stroll north six blocks.